Fortress Anfield ( Fortress Anfield ) as it is also called the god is by fans of Liverpool , has the nickname to his reputation as a difficult area for visiting teams. The technician Bill Shankly, who built the foundations for national and European domination of the Liverpool of the seventies and eighty, he affixed to the wall thickness tta of the steps leading players on the pitch a plaque with the inscription This Is Anfield ( This is Anfield ) 'p er remind our guys to play as a shirt, and our against opponents who play ". A lot of Liverpool players, climbing the stairs of the playing field touch the plate as a sign of good omen.
From 1957, when the lights were installed at night, the stadium can accommodate or evening meetings. The first was the derby Liverpool - Everton.
Since 1906 one of the corners of the stadium is officially called the Spion Kop , by no me of a hill in the region of South Africa of Natal, the site of a battle ( 1900) of the Second Anglo-Boer War . This battle saw a major defeat with losses by the British forces, many of those killed were soldiers from Liverpool and framed in the infantry regiment of Lancashire. The supporters estuary that occupies such a curve is called familiarly The Kop. Other stages come St. Andrews a Birmingham o Hillsborough a Sheffield , hanno una curva o una tribuna chiamata Kop . Nel suo periodo di massima capienza, il Kop poteva ospitare 28.000 spettatori ed era una delle tribune più capi enti del mondo.
La capacità totale del Kop fu dra statistically reduced following the adoption of security measures imposed after the massacre of Hillsborough of 1989, which caused the deaths of 96 people. In 1994 became an Anfield stadium only seats down, and the total capacity of the curve was reduced to about 12,500 spectators
- Main Stand. The main grandstand of the stadium, the first to be built. Completely renovated nel 1973 non ha subìto da allora sostanziali modifiche. Ospita circa 12.300 posti a sedere.
- Centenary Stand . Conosciuta anche come Kemlyn Road St and , dal nome della strada a fianco della quale si trovava, fu ricostruita nel 1992 in occasione del centenario del club, da cui il nome Tribuna del Centenario . A seguito della ricostruzione, tutte le case di Kemlyn Road furono distrutte e oggi la strada non esiste più. La capacità è di circa 11.800 posti a sedere.
- Anfield Road Stand . La curva opposta al Kop e ricostruita nel 1998 . It includes a reserved area of \u200b\u200b2,000 seats for fans of the visiting team. The total capacity of this curve is slightly more than 9,000 seats.
monuments and other installations
In the stadium there is also a plaque in memory of 9 6 deaths of Hillsborough and a statue of Bill Shankly , the technician who led the Liverpool between 1959 and 1974, bringing one of the great teams of England (3 championships and two FA Cups), as well as winning the Uefa Cup in season 1972/73. Even one of the entrances of the stadium is named Bill Shankly, while the entrance opposite is entitled to his successor, Bob Paisley , which brought the Reds to victory in the Champions League first in 1977.
issues of expansion and the need for a new stadium
Due to problems in expanding the system beyond its imitate physical (as mentioned, was necessary to remove a side street in 1992 to expand a forum) is expected in the medium term, a transfer of Liverpool to a new stadium, which plan, originally approved in February 2005 , should be presented within 12 months the City Council of the City of Liverpool . The plan was approved by the city 's April 11 2006 and now the club is undertaking a fund-raising to put together the 160 million pounds needed to build a new stadium of 60,000 seats.
When we realized the need to acquire a new bigger facility, it was suggested to build a new stadium in Stanley Park area, the first golf game for Liverpool, and to divide the field and expense management with the 'Everton , sul modello degli stadi italiani che ospitano due squadre della stessa città, ma l'idea fu cassata dal consiglio d'amministrazione del Liverpool nel 2005.